Sunday, September 4, 2011

Where I am from Poem

I am from rolling hills, tinkling streams, and starry nights. I am from spring peepers and cricket song. I am from two parent homes full of love and from late night sister sessions. I am from yearly family reunions, knowing who you are and where you come from.
I am from Friday night football and Sunday morning church. I am from the faith that God can do ALL things. I am from having as much of a church family as your own family. I am from covered dish dinners, homemade pies, and homemade macaroni and cheese. I am from Sunday dinners at Mamaw and Papaw’s house and playing in the yard with my cousins.
I am from trips to Ohio to see Mammy and Pappy and the uncles. I am from summers at the beach or trips to the mountains. I am from hunting and fishing and spending time in the company of great friends.
I am from standing as the flag goes by, from showing our respect, and from saying thanks to our veterans.
I am from bleeding blue and gold from the Bearcats to the Mountaineers. I am from Chevy, the Heartbeat of America, because Pappy won’t stand for those foreign jobs.
I am from laughing ‘til you cry with aunts, cousins, and grandmas. From praying that my family won’t embarrass me in public but loving them anyway.
I am from weekends at Grandma’s learning the right way to make her coffee and sleeping on her arm at night.
I am from Love. The love of family, friends, and country.
West Virginia is my home and my family is my greatest blessing.

1 comment:

  1. Great poem! Full of vivid imagery! Especially in the first two lines! Can't wait to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete