Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Double Entry Journal #1

Quote: "As the mountains were denuded, the industrialists portrayed the families they were robbing as "backward people" and themselves as the prophets of progress." (O'Brien, May 10, 2003)

Reaction: This quote completely shocked and amazed me. I guess I just do not understand how the industrialists could come onto the people's land, destroy it without caring about the people or the land, and then blame those people. Who gave them the right to call the Appalachian people "backward" while awarding themselves the power to "fix" others (even though the Appalachian people really did not need fixed)? If the land, or timber, was that important, then the right thing would have been for the timber companies to speak with the Appalachian people and explain what would happen. Just because someone is different, does not mean their way is wrong. I love where I live and appreciate the land and the people who are here. I would not go somewhere else and tell them they are backward and wrong.

Reference: O'Brien, J. (2003, May 10). Tall Tales of Appalachia. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/10/opinion/tall-tales-of-appalachia.html

Resource: This website gives background information on where Appalachia originated from and some history on the people, culture, values, etc about Appalachia.
http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0310443/Appalachian%20Culture.htm

4 comments:

  1. This quote stood out to me as well. I believe that the industries only came for one thing, our raw materials. They did not care about the people who live in West Virginia and they have no right to judge us until they get to know us. If they really cared about the people of this state they would have came and gotten to know the people, and like you said let the people know what they would be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the resource you chose, I felt that it highlighted what the Appalachian people are really like...hospitable, welcoming, hard-working. I think that it describes most families including mine. My grandmother was all of these things and more; strong, nurturing, and strongly believed in family values and morals. Her and my grandfather were both very honest and hospitable individuals. They would give you the shirt off their backs if they knew you needed it, and they were not ashamed of who they were or where they came from. I would sit and listen to many of their stories about their families and how they survived and even thrived. They knew the land and how to take care of themselves. People may look at us as backwoods and uneducated, but I prefer to look at as a people who are still upright and haven't learned the ways of the cunning robbers who come in and take advantage of a people who would rather live in peace than try to make it 'rich' through others expenses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the quote you chose. I believe that West Virginia is rich and bountiful in natural resources, and that many outsiders take advantage in the name of progress, power, and money. I think that problem is that West Virginians are a kind and giving people who are laid back in their way of living, and that is why is so easy for others to misconstrue that we are a "backwards" people. I think that people see us and they see the need to make us modernized, but my question is what happens when modernization fails and all we have is the land? Would people then still see us as "backwards"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your quote and response. We talked a little about this in class, but I feel that people often take advantage of West Virginians because they think we are "hillbillies" and "backward." This just goes to show how that happens. I also like the point Julie made above when she said, "I think that people see us and they see the need to make us modernized, but my question is what happens when modernization fails and all we have is the land? Would people then still see us as "backwards"?" People underestimate us as a people here in West Virginia, and don't give us the benefit of the doubt.

    ReplyDelete